Jasmine’s great aunt was a slavic fortune teller who practiced the art of Tasseomancy. Visiting her, and adopting the street cats for the summer, was what Jasmine looked forward to the most on her trips to Macedonia to visit her Baba as a child. Now Jasmine uses ancient methods of divination with applied synchronicity in her psychotherapy work to access the unconscious and develop greater reflection for the inner experience in a similar way as Carl Jung, the founder of analytical psychology.
Jasmine believes using Eastern approaches and methods of divination provide a more holistic viewpoint, reaching beyond the linear approaches and tunnel vision of the unassisted intellect to meaningful connection via (seemingly) random selection. At 13 years old Jasmine was given her first pack of Oracle Cards, Titania’s Fortune Cards, two decades later here is what she has in her collection…
Note, for a divination system to be a useful tool, it is important that the set of archetypes are balanced between light and shadow, as with the classical systems. This is so that they reflect the range of human experiences, including the darker tendencies. Also, it cannot be overemphasised that the archetypes are metaphorical, not literal.
First let’s start with a couple of great books to read about divination and synchronicity. Also in the list will be a couple of books on the meanings of symbols but remember, as with dreams, start with what the symbol means to you first before seeing what other meanings are. The few symbol dictionaries we like are because they really do explore the symbol archetypally with their historical and cultural context.
- On Divination And Synchronicity, Marie-Louise Von Franz
- Man And His Symbols, Carl G. Jung
- Animals Speak, Ted Andrews
- The Book Of Symbols, Ted Andrews
- The Myths Of The Goddess, Anne Baring and Jules Cashford
- White Spirit Animals, J. Zohara Meyerhoff Hieronimus, D. H. L.
Tarot and Oracle Cards
- Aboriginal Walkabout Oracle Cards, Mathew Tyler, Kate Osborne and Morgan Fitzsimons
Work Your Light Oracle Cards, Rebecca Campbell and Danielle Noel
Buddhism Reading Cards, Sofan Chan
Moonology Oracle Cards: A 44-Card Deck and Guidebook Oracle Cards,Yasmin Boland and Nyx Rowan
The Romance Angels Oracle Cards, Doreen Virtue
- Messages From Your Animal Spirit Guides Cards, Steven Farmer
- Secret Language Of Animals, Chip Richards
- Earth Magic, Steven Farmer
- Native Spirit Oracle Cards, Denise Linn
- Medicine Cards, Jamie Sams and David Carson with the Medicine Cards Book, Jamie Sams and David Carson
- Archetype Cards, Caroline Myss
- Earth Warriors Oracle, Alana Fairchild and Isabel Bryna
- Magical Mermaids And Dolphin Oracle Cards, Doreen Virtue
- Cat Tarot, Megan Lynn Kott
- The Power Of Surrender Cards, Dr Judith Orloff
- A Yogic Path, Sahara Rose
- The Spirit Animal Oracle Cards, Colette Baron-Reid
- Tarot Cards, A. E. Waite and Pamela Coleman Smith with The Only Tarot Book You’ll Ever Need, Skye Alexander
- The Herbcrafter’s Tarot, Latisha Guthrie and Joanna Powell Colbert
- Oracle Of The Mermaids, Lucy Cavendish
- The Wild Unknown Animal Spirit, Kim Krans
- Oceanic Tarot, Jayne Wallace
Here are our runes and a wonderful little book by Lisa Peschel. According to Norse Mythology runes originated from early germanic tribes and an ancient alphabet in Scandinavia called the Futhark. Norse magic accesses the unconscious in the same way as the tarot by reflecting on the questions asked and the choices made by your subconscious mind.
Casting runes is the way to read them. This is done by tossing a few, or all, onto your sacred chosen cloth or ground and interpreting them from the pattern they have fallen into. Before you start this practice, it’s best to just spend a couple of months casting one by letting own fall out your bag onto your sacred space and learning it as your rune for the day. Then move up to a three-rune cast. Once you have the hang of it you can go up to a nine-rune cast which is a magical number in Norse mythology. Another way of casting is counting the number of days from the last full moon and casting that many runes. The full moon is all about birth so when you cast your runes imagine the magic birthing out their womb pouch into the outer world.
You can buy pre-made runes online or you can make your own with wood. The carving or painting of the symbols is part of the magic. Making your own medicine bag out of fabric that has meaning to you is also something you can consider.
Dowsing with Pendulums
Pendulums promote healing with the process of Dowsing. Dowsing connects to invisible energies and unconscious thoughts and feelings. Here are some pendulums from our collection all charged on the dark moon for Crone energy. The Crone Goddess Archetype is the keeper of mysteries, psychic powers and soul magic.
To use your pendulum place the hoop at the top like a ring on your middle finger of your left hand. Focus your intention on the wolf pendant and then place your right hand, palm facing up, under the crystal and begin to calibrate it for your session.
To calibrate it ask the pendulum to tell you it’s direction for yes and then tell you it’s direction for no. The answers will be different to each other, usually one answer is a circle and one answer is a swinging from side to side. It could also be that one answer swings horizontally and one vertically, or that one circle is clockwise and the other is anti clockwise. Once you’ve understood your calibration, test it with some simple questions like ‘Is my name ~?’ ‘Do I live in ~?’. It may feel like you are unconsciously moving it but these inner movements are a reflection of your inner experience. Over time you will learn to trust your pendulum.
Once your pendulum is working you can begin asking more important questions either in the same way as asking the simple yes and no questions or you can try these other ways:
- You can create your own divination board for it to land on by drawing out your own map with letters and numbers and seeing where it lands when you ask questions.
- Laying out your tarot or oracle cards and asking your pendulum to lead you to the card that answers your questions.
- Using the pendulums on your chakras. Pendulums can help identify imbalances in the chakra system and auric field. If you have done a reiki course or studied the chakra system you will have a sense of how to use your pendulum on your chakras. If you give reiki sessions you can use the pendulum on your client whilst they are laying down, remember to charge the pendulum with the client at the beginning of the session. A great book on the chakra system that Jasmine always recommends is Eastern Body, Western Mind by Anodea Judith. If you’re interested in Reiki courses Jasmine can recommend some and tell you about the one she did.
Take a look at our online shop here to purchase a pendulum and for prices.
Divination With Therapeutic Exploration
If you would like to book a one to one session of divination with therapeutic exploration please fill out the form below. Prices for these sessions can be found on our fee page here.
Take a look at our book collection next by clicking here.